On more than a few occasions now my boyfriend has treated me to his fantastic culinary skills.
His way of cooking is like none other I’ve have seen before, he allows his taste buds to be the recipe. No scales, no idea or plan, no notion of what exactly he should be doing, just his love for food and I guess his somehow calculated cooking method…
Anyway last night yet again he did not disappoint. He randomly decided to make fajitas, a dish we’ve not indulged in in a very long time. I was a little apprehensive as I wasn’t sure what I actually wanted for dinner and chicken was not on the top of my list but when the scent started to captivate the house my stomach began to yearn for the Mexican dish and I eagerly awaited its presentation in front of me. An amazing taste I dare not begin to describe, however, I can share with you a recipe.
Now as I mentioned my partner does not follow any set recipes, he works his food with love and passion so to try to replicate his exact method would be an insult to his abilities ha. Below instead I have listed a hopefully similar recipe to enlighten and intensify your taste buds. Happy cooking my friends!
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
• 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
• 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
• 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped length ways
• 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped length ways
• 2 onions, thinly sliced
• 2 mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
• Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream
1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1 tablespoon oil, lemon juice and seasonings; add the chicken. Seal and shake about to get the mix evenly dispersed
2. In a large pan/wok, saute peppers, mushrooms and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
3. Discard marinade. In the same pan, cook chicken over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through.
4. Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. Serve with cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.